2 little pumpkins were still there sitting on my kitchen pantry since we bought them from the farm. Surprisingly, I had so many wish-to-do list to make with the pumpkins and didn’t know where to start. My mind started browsing up and down the list , let’s go with pumpkin pie first!
I chose the bigger one , cut it, peeled , cored and diced it. Cooked the diced pumpkins and ready to use.
I wanted to make gluten free pumpkin pie, may be crustless pie? pumpkin rice cake or in Malaysia we call it, kuih talam labu? yes , alhamdulillah..I got it! All I need was to play around with the recipe that is lower in fat and gluten free.
Alhamdulillah, the result was a success to my expectation; creamy , not too sweet, custard-y from the inside and slight crust formed along the bottom and sides of the pan make it easy to cut. It is all about the flavor and texture that remind me to malaysian rice cake and pumpkin pie or in between.
2 1/2 Cups cooked and diced pumpkin
1/2 Cup white rice flour
2 Tbsp tapioca flour
2 Tbsp potato starch (not potato flour) [ see notes]
2 Cups lite coconut milk ( see notes )
3/4 Cup white sugar
1/4 Tsp of each cinnamon powder , nutmeg powder and ginger powder
pinch of salt
2 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil ( preferable) or other light tasting oil
- Preheat the oven to 325 F
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in the blender and blend untill smooth.
- Add in sugar , salt , the spices ( cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg) and 2 Tbsp coconut oil.Blend on high, stopping to scrape the sides a couple of times to make sure everything is thoroughly blended. In the mean time, grease the remaining oil (1/2 tsp ) on a 8 – 9 inch pie pan and preheat the pan in the preheated oven.
- Pour the mixture into a large pot. Pre-cook on medium-low heat ( keep stirring to avoid lumps and burn on the bottom) until bubbles appear on top and creates steam. The consistency should not be too thick or too runny by now.
- Take the preheated pan out of the oven, pour mixture into the pan.. shake a little bit to level it out.
- Bake in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes.The top and edges should be brown, but the edges should not be over-done. Do not use fork, toothpick or knife to test because it will remain moist in the middle while still hot even though it is actually done.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool at room temperature. For best results, refrigerate until chilled and completely firm before serving.
This recipe makes 10 servings . I served the pie with coconut ice-cream, InsyaAllah I will post the ice cream recipe on the next entry.
Notes Of The Day :
1- If you are out of potato starch or allergy to it, you can subs with cornstarch. If you can go with egg, you can use one egg instead of the starch.
2 – For the best result, please use coconut milk. If you cannot use coconut, any milk alternatives work too.