Urap or sometimes kerabu , I love this Southeast Asian dish especially in Malaysia because everything is in here except for kitchen sink. The nutty flavor landed from toasted coconut, the saltiness from roasted anchovies .. you don’t even need to add salt to it. Adding ginger really kicks up the Asian flavor .
I can’t say anything else to prove how good this urap is.. if you are Malaysian and familiar with this vegetable salad, you will definitely understand what I am saying. For those who have yet to try this.. it’s just about time to have your first taste .
This vegetable dish is very simple to make. You can get it done with eyes closed , trust me! It doesn’t need any cooking process except for toasting. To show how simple it is, see the recipe below and you will nod your head.
Urap ( makes 3 Cups)
- 1/2 Cup dried anchovies or dried shrimp or canned tuna, stir fry and ground into coarse meal
- 1/2 Cup grated coconut,toasted (like making kerisik) , ground into coarse meal (see Notes)
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 thinly sliced fresh ginger, match stick size
- 1 1/2 Cup fresh green beans, crosswise sliced, 1/8 inch thick
- 1 Cup fresh bean sprout
- salt, to taste
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and lightly toss them until well incorporated. Cover the bowl, let it stand for at least 1 hour.
Ready to serve with hot plain white rice or enjoy as is.
1- Ground the toasted coconut just into coarse meal. Stop before it starts become too oily and runny. It’s not like making kerisik.
2- Sliced baked beef can also be added in to add more texture and flavor.