Just exactly the way it is when I crave for deep fried potato chips ; crunchy, salty and flavor laden. I have to figure some alternatives out, something there is no brainer.. to make.
Here is one of them I’ve been making over the years.. oven fries potatoes, the only different I made each time is play around with herbs and spices available in my kitchen pantry. And alhamdulillah , they have never let my crave down. The matter fact is it tastes whole lot better than regular unhealthy chips.
This time I curried them. I questioned myself how it would turn out with cornstarch , I tossed it in and alhamdulillah, it boosted the external crisp texture to the potatoes. We enjoyed them as much as we savored this pan fried potatoes.
Curried Potato Oven Fries (Makes 4-5 Cups)
To add fiber in any potato dishes, leave the skin on.
- 5 medium potatoes, unpeeled and slice lengthwise into 6 wedges
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder, optional
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder, optional
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch ( In Malaysia, we call it corn flour)
- Pinch of black pepper, to taste, optional
- Pinch of white pepper powder, optional
- Salt, to taste
- 1 ½ Tablespoons grapeseed oil ( or other light tasting oil i.e canola, vegetable , olive oil)
1- Preheat the oven to 425F.
2- In a large bowl, toss all ingredients in and mix them to well combined.
3- Arrange the wedges on a large baking pan, cut side down and in the oven it goes.
4- Bake for 25-30 minutes or till brown and crispy. Don’t go too brown. Flip each wedges over. Continue to bake for another 8-10 minutes.
5- Turn off the oven and remove the perfectly baked potatoes.
6- Sprinkle with more salt if needed and ready to serve.